Thanks to our friends at the organic and natural food store As Natured Intended, we are sharing with you a series of plant-based recipes covering all courses from a pre-dinner snack, through to main courses and desserts. For those who have not heard of Aquafaba before, it is a “magic” ingredient according to As Nature Intended! It is the brine that comes with a can of chickpeas and serves as an alternative to egg. Here is a simple but delicious recipe for fudgy brownies made from this magic ingredient…!
Fudgy brownies made with Aquafaba
Ingredients (Makes 18 brownies)
- 200g dark chocolate (60-75% cocoa), broken into chunks
- 150ml plant-based milk
- 150g vegan margarine
- 330g plain flour
- 110g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 500g powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder or leavening agent
- 6 tbsp water
- A pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp thick aquafaba (if your bean-juice is too watery, reduce it until it turns the same consistency as egg whites)
- Optional: You can also add 2 tbsp of organic ground flax seeds
- Heat your oven to 180°C and line an oven dish with parchment paper (18cm x 28cm).
- Put 150g chocolate and the margarine in a medium-sized saucepan and let them melt over a low heat. Once melted, add in the milk, until it’s fully incorporated.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt in a large bowl (and the flax seeds if you want)
- Add the chocolate and margarine mixture, water and aquafaba to the dry ingredients. Mix all very well (better if you use a mixer), until everything is incorporated. Then add the remaining 50g of chocolate.
- Tip the batter into your prepared oven dish.
- Smooth the top with a wet spatula and bake it in the centre of the oven for about 30 mins. You’ll see that the top is firm but the centre is sticky – that’s exactly as it should be!
- Leave the brownies to cool in the tray, then cut into 18 pieces.
Originally published at https://www.asnatureintended.uk.com/ on April 3, 2019, republished with permission