Thanks to our friends at the organic and natural food store As Natured Intended, we are sharing with you a series of plant-based recipes covering all courses from a pre-dinner snack, through to main courses and desserts. Here is an alternative take on traditional sushi...
Rainbow Vegan Sushi
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 4 nori sheets
- 250g sushi rice, rinsed
- 330ml water
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pack Holy Moly Original Guacamole
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- A handful of sliced red cabbage
- Wasabi and pickled ginger to serve
- Start by making the sushi rice. Rinse the rice a few times, until the water comes out clean.
- Place the rice in a saucepan and add 330ml water. Cover the pan, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave it there to steam for 25-30 minutes. Do not take the lid off until the time is up.
- Once your rice is ready, place it in a bigger baking dish and spread it out so it can cool down.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and the rice wine vinegar then add to rice and mix well. This will make it sticky so it will stay put once you start rolling.
- Fold two kitchen towels in half, then place them onto each other to create your sushi rolling mat.
- Put a nori sheet on top of the mat, shiny side up. Grab some rice with your hands and spread it evenly on the nori sheet leaving 1 cm margin at the very top. As well as spreading the rice evenly, keep on pressing it into the mat. Keep a bowl with water handy so that you can clean your fingers if they get too sticky.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon Holy Moly Original Guacamole on the bottom of the sheet and spread it evenly. Stack vegetables on top, but do not overfill the roll.
- Using your “mat”, slowly start rolling the roll squeezing it tightly with both hands as your roll. Go back every now and then to make sure everything is tightly bonded.
- Once you get to the end, dip your finger in water and brush the water on the margin to seal the roll. Finish rolling and set the roll aside. Repeat last 4 steps with the remaining nori sheets.
- Once you have all 4 rolls, cut them into 6-8 pieces, depending on how thick you like your sushi. Serve with wasabi and pickled ginger on the side.
Originally published at https://www.asnatureintended.uk.com/ on August 29, 2019, republished with permission