Thanks to our friends at the organic and natural food store As Natured Intended, we are sharing with you a series of plant-based recipes covering all courses from a pre-dinner snack, through to main courses and desserts. These vegan chocolate fudge cakes are made with Jujube fruits, which, for those who don’t know, are a form of red dates, known for being low in calories and high in fibre, according to As Nature Intended!
Vegan chocolate fudge cakes with Jujube fruits
INGREDIENTS (Serves 8)
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ripe banana
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 100g coconut sugar
- 100g vegan butter
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp bicarb
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting:
- 150g cashew bites
- 100g frozen mixed berries – thawed
- 60g soaked jujube fruit (soak in boiled water for 20 minutes)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- Jujube sprinkles to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- In a food processor, combine the banana, coconut sugar and vegan butter and cream these together.
- Add in all of your dry ingredients and blend until everything is well combined and forms a smooth cake batter. Divide this amongst your cupcake cases (the mixture should make around 7-8 cakes) and pop these into the oven for around 30 minutes to bake. You’ll know the cakes are done when a skewer can be pierced into the cake and comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes onto a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- To prepare your frosting: add the nuts, berries, drained jujube fruits and agave to a food processor and blitz this until you’re left with a smooth, creamy frosting. This might take a while to achieve a really smooth icing.
- When your cakes have thoroughly cooled, top each of them with some of your frosting and garnish with some dried jujube sprinkles.
Originally published at https://www.asnatureintended.uk.com/ on September 15, 2019, republished with permission