Thanks to our friends at the organic and natural food store As Natured Intended, we are sharing with you a series of plant-based recipes covering all courses from a pre-dinner snack, through to main courses and desserts. The below recipe is the first of two main course dishes in the series.
Vegan Ragu Stew
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 red or yellow peppers, chopped (seeds and stem removed)
2 tbsp olive oil
150g of Bonsan Kofu Ragu Chunks
2 medium courgettes, sliced into rounds
225g white mushrooms, halved or sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
3 tsp oregano
2 tsp dried basil
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Then add the chopped onions and a sprinkling of salt; sauté for 3-4 minutes until transparent, but not browned.
- Add the peppers and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and then add garlic, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the Bonsan Kofu Regu chunks and season with salt, pepper, and ½ tsp dried basil. Stir occasionally, until brown on all sides (about 5 minutes).
- Add the browned Bonsan Kofu Regu chunks to the large pot and, without cleaning the frying pan, add the mushrooms and courgettes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are browned and the courgettes softened. Transfer to the large pot.
- Add remaining dried herbs, a few grinds of black pepper, and salt to taste; stir.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer together for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a large chunk of sourdough bread.
Originally published at https://www.asnatureintended.uk.com/ on May 16, 2019, republished with permission